Friday 13 April 2007

Drama at Kennington Park

There really is never a dull moment round these parts. My unlucky, and newest housemate, was mugged last week and lost both his iPod and mobile phone, between the tube station and the entrance to the estate we live on. He was a bit shaken up, but seemed ok. I'm just continuing to keep my wits about me and certainly keeping my valuables well concealed.
Thankfully my two landlords were on hand to call the police (I was out at the time) and seemed to lighten the situation with their lusting over the particularly dishy officer who apparently arrived to take a statement. Let's not hope this happens too often :-)

Welcome to Kennington, Gary.

In the wee small hours of this morning, a companion and I awoke to what sounded like gunshots. Knowing that game shooting wasn't very common in South London, I feared the very worst, living not a million miles away from Peckham. Being half asleep anyway I thought I would investigate in the morning. It turns out that the gunshots were in fact explosives used by the police as a distraction as they raided a Rastafarian temple at Kennington Park. It is said that this was one of Bob Marley's hangouts in the 1970s. However, it looks like it won't be a temple for much longer, as Lambeth are about to demolish it.

After all this 'excitement', today (the sirens are forever blaring past my flat, so I have no idea what is 'back to normal'), I've been experiencing the delights of rural Kent, and had a little wander around Greenwich.

I've also managed to change my Labour Party membership to Vauxhall, at last. Talking of the Party, two Kent University students (in the Labour Club I helped to set up) are standing in the Blean ward close to the campus. Good luck, Arjun and Matthew - let's hope you do a bit better than I did!

Kent County Council Elections - Canterbury Results 2005

No comments:

Share this