Thursday 10 February 2011

A moment of madness

The excellent Enemies of Reason blog carries an 'application' to join the Daily Mail trainee reporter scheme, which closes shortly.

Most other journalism students I know detest the Hate Mail and its view of the world. But few people acknowledge that the Mail has one of the best training schemes for journalists in the English language. And that's not to be sniffed out in a declining newspaper industry - although the Mail is well ahead of its rivals selling in circulating over three million copies a day.

I'll admit it now. For a few, unhinged and not-altogether-of-this-planet moments I considered applying to the scheme, as a natural progression to the first-class journalism training I'm currently undertaking at City University, which concludes in mid-September.

But, hold on:

Jan Moir?

'Mad' Melanie Phillips and her gay maths?



Richard Littlejohn?

A tyrannical editor?



A scattergun firing selective and preachy moral judgements about anyone who isn't white, middle class, heterosexual and Christian? In what kind of parallel universe would I ever feel comfortable having my words printed alongside these people, and these values?

Steven Baxter at Enemies of Reason says it much better than me
.

No comments:

Share this